Ubytování Šumava

České Budějovice

České Budějovice

The history of České Budějovice goes right back to the middle ages. The city was founded in 1256 at a crossroads of odl trading routes by the Bohemian King Přemysl Otakar II, who by establishing a cyty at such a strategic point, attempted to stop the increasing power of the Vítek family. As a royal city Ceské Budějovice was to become not only the political, but also the economic center of the South Bohemia. It was helped by a whole number of privileges and rights.

České Budějovice had approximately 4,000 inhabitants in the 15th century, two thirds of them were of German origin. Several Jewish families also made their homes here, but were driven out at the start of the 16th century. The town, led by its Catholic masters, was loyal to the monarch and did not therefore become the site of battles and was not destroyed during the Hussite rebellion. On the contrary it became one of the leading cities in the Bohemian kingdom after Prugue and Pilsen and continued to grow and prosper.

The discovery of large silver deposits in the 16 th century gave the city a futher impetus for growth and it was the second Bohemian city, after Kutná Hora, in which silver coins were minted. All this enabled frequent alternations and the construktion of new grand buildings, including the city hall and the Black Tower (Cerná věž). It was at this time that the city obtained its Renaissance appearance, the remains of which can be seen today, in particular on the burghers‘ houses on the main square and in adjacent streets.

Not even the Thirty Years‘ War affected České Budějovice. On the contrary the thouroughly fortified city several times became a safe haven for regional officials and the church even briefly became the resting place for the crown jewels. In 1641, however, halt of the city was destroyed by a huge fire.

The Baroque reconstruktion of the city took several decades and quite changed its character. A number of new religious buildings were built, as was one of the city’s current dominating features, Samson’s Fountain. The town hall also underwent wide-raging Baroque alternations, which gave the building its current appearance. The city’s cultural importance also increased in the 18 th century. The construction of the city theatre, the establishment of the Piaristicske high school and the České Budějovice bishopric also occurred at this time.


Volba jazyka